castle represents only small part of the fortifications
of Pafos, which aimed at the protection of the harbour
and the town against foreign raids. In its long history
it came to know many conquerors and played its own
important part in the defence not only of Pafos by
of the whole island.
the middle of the 16th century a reconstruction was
considered necessary because the Venetians destroyed
the castle because they were afraid that it might
fall into the hands of their enemies and pirates and
used a base for attacks against them.
The reconstruction of the castle was carried out twenty-two
years after the conquest of the island by the Turkish
commander of Cyprus Ahmet Pasha (1589-1593).
The castle as it survives today is relatively well
preserved and has a rectangular shape. Its outer dimensions
are 33m length and 17m width. The castle has two storeys
and is 21 m high.
ground floor during the Turkish rule served as a prison
for long-term convicts. When the English took Cyprus
(1878) they used the castle as a government store
for salt until 1935, when the salt was removed to
one of the customs stores and the castle was declared
an ancient monument.
The roof of the castle is surrounded by a stone parapet.
The parapet has twelve battlements, which were used
for the defence of the castle.
The one of the first floor rooms has been used as
a mosque and the others as rooms for the guards.