At the beginning of
the 16th century, reconstruction of the castle was
commenced due to the new intense earthquake which
seriously damaged the castle in 1491.
The gothic arches of the underground chamber and the
openings on the side walls may be assigned to this
Limassol and the castle
were captured by the Turks in 1538, but after the
battle was won, the Venetian governor of Cyprus, Bragadino,
decided to demolish the castle in order to avoid it
Its final destruction came after the earthquakes of
In 1576 the castle
was taken over by the Ottomans who incorporated the
remains in the new Ottoman fort which strengthened
its walls measuring 2m thick.
The underground chamber
and the first floor were transformed into prison cells
and remained in use until 1950.